Service Description

The Children’s Wellbeing Practitioners (CWPs) are part of the school-based needs team in Surrey.  They work in partnership with primary and secondary schools to support children and young people who are experiencing lower levels of anxiety, depression, and/or challenging behaviours.

They can provide short-term (6-8 sessions) evidence-based intervention that could include low-intensity Cognitive Behavioural Therapy with young people, psycho-education, and parent/carer support and/or guided interventions with parents/carers. 

The team work closely with partner and alliance agencies, schools, and the wider school-based needs service such as Primary Mental Health Teams (PMHT), Mental Health Support Teams (MHST), and Early Intervention Coordinators (EIC) to offer support.

The team:
Our team consist of Children Wellbeing Practitioners who are trained at postgraduate level in psychological wellbeing. CWPs are available in primary and secondary schools Surrey-wide.

Support criteria

This school-based service is for children and young people who are experiencing anxiety, low-mood, and/or challenging behaviour.  Young people may access this service via a referral from a school link worker, who will contact our CWP team to arrange a session in school.

Requests for support

Children's Wellbeing Practitioners are a school-based needs team, which means they work closely with school staff and provide support in a school setting rather than a clinic.

The service accept referrals for support from school staff.  If you are a child/ young person and think our services may be helpful, please contact a school professional who will link in with us.

Equally, you may have an important role in a young person’s life (i.e. parents/carers/other professionals) and feel that support from our team might be helpful.  We therefore suggest that you make contact with the child/ young person’s school who will put you in touch with their mental health/ pastoral lead to discusses making a request for support.

Frequently Asked Questions

I am a parent/carer – when would you talk to me?

  • Once we discuss with the school the concern about your child/young person, we may ask to talk with parents/carers if we need more information on how they are at home or in other situations outside of school. We would ask the education staff to arrange for us to meet, either in person at school, on a video call or a phone call. 

Would you see or meet with my child?

  • Depending on the age and support needs, we may offer an intervention directly with the child/young person or with the parents via face-to-face sessions in school, online, or over the phone.

Contact Details


  • North West - Unither House, Curfew Bell Road, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 9FG
  • South East - Gatton Place, St Matthews Road, Redhill, Surrey RH1 1TA
  • South West - Azalea House, Bray Road, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7LQ
  • North East Hants - Theta Building, Lyon Way, Frimley, Surrey GU16 7ER
  • North East-Mid - 18 Mole Business Park, Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 7AD
  • Various Surrey Schools

You can email our CWP administrative email address based on the community where you live. This email is checked periodically for any service enquiries but is not a clinical enquiry line.

Email (admin) 

Service managers: Danielle Heming / Linda Bayliss

Our free crisis line for children and young people is available 24 hours a day. It is open to young people aged six and older who are experiencing an emotional or mental health crisis, as well as their parents or carers. Please call 0800 915 4644.