Surrey and Borders Partnership cannot recommend private clinicians of any type and would encourage you to continue to work with us, but for your protection in the event that you wish to consult a private professional, below are some key qualifications and registrations that you should expect to see for the various professional groups.

Type of clinician



Should have MBBS or MBChB, MRCPsych. Paediatricians should have MRCP. Both should also be registered on The medical register - GMC (


Should be registered on the NMC: Search the register - The Nursing and Midwifery Council (

Counselling Psychologists and Clinical Psychologists

All Counselling Psychologists and Clinical Psychologists are registered with HCPC. They may also register with the British Psychological Society Check the Register and find a registered health and care professional | (

Cognitive Behaviour Therapists

Cognitive Behaviour Therapists may have core professional training and may also be registered with the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BAB CP) CBT Register UK

Family Therapists

Association for Family Therapy (AFT).  Members are registered as Family & Systemic Psychotherapists through the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) Find a Therapist (

Child Psychotherapists

Association of Child Psychotherapists (ACP) accredited register of the PSA Register of Members | Association of Child Psychotherapists (

Art Therapists

British Association of Art Therapists members are registered with HCPC

Counsellors and Psychotherapists

British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy registered via BACP (accredited register of the PSA) BACP - British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy

Drama Therapists

British Association of Drama Therapists,  members are registered with HCPC.

Music Therapists

British Association of Music Therapy members are registered with HCPC Check the Register and find a registered health and care professional | (

Play Therapists

Play Therapy UK accredited register of the PSA.


UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) accredited register of the PSA Find a Therapist (


Counsellors: ideally registered/accredited with or  This means a counsellor/psychotherapist has satisfied certain training, practice, and ethics rules.  However, there are currently no laws in the UK regarding counselling and psychotherapy though guidelines recommend that, to practice, counsellors should have completed at least an appropriate diploma, however often many will have a BSc (Hons), BA (Hons), MA, MSc or a PhD.  Accredited Psychotherapists should have at least a Master’s Degree.