If you are concerned about a child or young person in your care, there are a number of things you can do:

  • Talk to them - Try to find out what is upsetting them. Is it school, work, home or friends? Probably one of the best things you can do is listen to your child, encourage them to talk if they can, and let them speak without interruption or judgement. Check in on them regularly. Trust your instinct, if they say they’re ok but you don’t think they are, be vigilant. 
  • Talk to a professional who knows your situation - This could be someone from their school or college, your GP, social worker or health visitor (if you have one).  Discuss whether your child or young person would benefit from an appointment with Mindworks Surrey, and ask them to request support for you. One of the alliance partners will be asked to help you. For a list of who those partner organisations could be, take a look at our partners page.
  • Discuss the possibility of external support - Depending on their age talk to the child, young person or young adult about receiving help from someone trusted outside of the family.
  • In a crisis? If you are worried about your child or young person, please call our 24/7 mental health crisis line free on 0800 915 4644 to talk with a trained call handler who will provide advice, support and signposting to a range of community services. It’s open all day and all night, seven days a week. 

The crisis line is available for children and young people from the age of six. You can use the number whether or not you are already receiving mental health services. No formal request for support is needed.

In an emergency, please dial 999 or 112 from a mobile.

There is a large amount of helpful information for parents on the Surrey County Council Family Information Directory.

There is also lots of helpful information and links here, so please take a look and see what would be helpful for you.