A young girl talking expressively to a counsellorWhat is counselling?

There are a wide range of options, and young people are signposted and introduced to age appropriate support, depending on personal circumstances. This could include child or family therapy, guided self-help, evidence-based therapies such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) which can be suitable for many issues including anxiety, phobias, low mood, depression and relationship difficulties. 

Our counselling services

Young people are offered a safe and confidential space to talk about their experiences and worries.

  • Counsellors are trained to listen without judgement and encourage young people to make positive decisions for themselves
  • The process is proactive, with the counsellor adjusting the process and employing the techniques that best fit the young person’s needs
  • A range of strategies are used, including symbolic, creative, behavioural, cognitive and psycho-educational
  • Counsellors can help with a range of issues including stress, anxiety, low mood, bullying, bereavement, low self-esteem, family problems, self-harm and relationship issues
  • Outcomes are goal-based and sessions are focused on empowering young people and facilitating positive change
  • Courses of counselling are short term and not suitable for severe mental health issues and trauma
  • The age range of those supported differs between partners, so please check this when enquiring

Partners: Relate West Surrey, YMCA East Surrey, Step by Step, Leatherhead Youth Project

Requests for support should be made through the Access and Advice Team.

Surrey and Borders Partnership cannot recommend private clinicians of any type and would encourage you to continue to work with us should your needs change, but for your protection in the event that you wish to consult a private professional, below are some key qualifications and registrations that you should expect to see for the various professional groups.

Psychiatrists should have MBBS or MBChB, MRCPsych (for psychiatrists) or MRCP (for paediatricians).  They should also be registered on The medical register - GMC (gmc-uk.org)

Nurses should be registered on the NMC: Search the register - The Nursing and Midwifery Council (nmc.org.uk)

All Counselling Psychologists and Clinical Psychologists are registered with HCPC. They may also register with the British Psychological Society Check the Register and find a registered health and care professional | (hcpc-uk.org)

Cognitive Behaviour Therapists may have a core professional training and may also be registered with the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BACP) CBT Register UK

Association for Family Therapy (AFT).  Members are registered as Family & Systemic Psychotherapists through the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) Find a Therapist (psychotherapy.org.uk)

Association of Child Psychotherapists (ACP) https://childpsychotherapy.org.uk/ accredited register of the PSA Register of Members | Association of Child Psychotherapists (childpsychotherapy.org.uk)

British Association of Art Therapists members are registered with HCPC https://www.hcpc-uk.org/check-the-register/

British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy  registered via BACP (accredited register of the PSA) BACP - British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy

British Association of Drama Therapists https://badth.org.uk/,  members are registered with HCPC

British Association of Music Therapy members are registered with HCPC Check the Register and find a registered health and care professional | (hcpc-uk.org)

Play Therapy UK https://www.playtherapyregister.org.uk/ accredited register of the PSA

UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) accredited register of the PSA Find a Therapist (psychotherapy.org.uk)

Counsellors: ideally registered/accredited with www.bacp.co.uk or www.psychotherapy.org.uk.  This means a counsellor/psychotherapist has satisfied certain rules on training, practice and ethics.  However, there are currently no laws in the UK regarding counselling and psychotherapy though guidelines recommend that, in order to practice, counsellors should have completed at least an appropriate diploma, however often many will have a BSc (Hons), BA (Hons), MA, MSc or a PhD.  Accredited Psychotherapists should have at least a Master’s Degree.